Wiltshire - Buzzards and Kites (Glass Hides)
Dates have now been launched for the 2023/24 season!
Last year saw the two new hides performing incredibly well with constant activity. We are excited to release dates early in preparation for the season to come with the hides reopening on October 23rd.
We have two hides available for photographing Buzzards and Red Kites on the Marlborough Downs. Both are glass fronted and are proving very popular. The site has moved from its original position and is now more isolated and away from a public footpath, with less disturbance and the chance of taking even better images, particularly action and flying shots. This is almost certainly the best place in the UK to photograph Buzzards, with plenty of Red Kites and corvids too, so if you have yet to experience these magnificent birds at close quarters, then now is the time to book.
For those of you who used the original portal hide prior to 2022, they have been relocated on the farm, fitted with glass windows and alongside it is an additional brand new fully glass-fronted hide. The two hides will offer a different experience with exceptional Spanish sought glass to offer those wishing for more action shots to be able to move freely inside the hide and capture some unique imagery.
A wonderful opportunity to photograph and study two of Britain's iconic bird of prey species in a natural setting. Wild Buzzards and Red Kites come to a farmland site on the Marlborough Downs along with Ravens, Jackdaws, Carrion Crows & Magpies. You have the chance to take images of them interacting and feeding as well as creative shots of them against the surroundings. A drinking pool/pond has been created where you can capture bathing shots too.
• Heated, insulated and fully waterproofed hide with flushable toilet in adjacent room
• Full glass panels for smooth flexible shooting and panning to capture birds in flight and action shots without disturbing the birds
• WiFi available in the hide
• Lens suggestions for action pictures use 300/400mm & portrait 500/600mm
• No need to bring tripods as plates and Gimbal heads are provided on site, however you may bring a bean bag or your own tripod head if required
• Currently a maximum of two people can book for each hide with a maximum of four people in the two hides
• A hide can be booked exclusively if required
• Toilet and hand sanitiser available at the hide
• Hot drinks are available in the hide as well as some homemade Sloe Gin!
• Call Oliver on 07802 417810 or email Oliver if you have a particular date you'd like to reserve
• Located just 15 minutes south of the M4, junctions 15 or 16
• Meeting time roughly 75 minutes before sunrise
• Hide arrangements will be emailed to you on booking
• No payment or deposit required to reserve your booking
Cost: £175 for a single space (potentially sharing with other photographers) or £350 for booking the hide exclusively.
Booking your hide session:
To book, please view the availability calendar below and decide on a suitable date. Note that dates that show as available in green may have other clients booked too. There are now four spaces in total available across the two hides so if the date in the calendar is in orange then this date is fully booked. You may be able to request exclusive access on request.
Once selected email Oliver to book your session. Once confirmed with Oliver, your date will be booked and you pay the farmer once you've visited the hide.
Last year's hide season ran from 12th November 2022 to 5th March 2023.
Note the wildlife images shown here were taken from the original hide, however the experience is even better for static and action shots and I will post some updated images in due course.